Sunday, June 15, 2008

Why is Deodorant Gendered?

Why? Why is deodorant gendered? I've been buying that idiotic Secret for years and it sucks ass. It gets all over your clothes, it's expensive, only comes in "ladylike" quantities and doesn't work all that well. I was fed up with it so I bought some organic, or maybe 'natural,' deodorant. It didn't work. So then i was back to buying the noxious kind. 'But!' I thought, 'I'm not going to blindly just buy Secret.' So I did a little price comparison shopping, and it turns out that if you buy men's deodorant you get a bigger stick for a smaller price. Plus, the kind I bought at least, does a much better job and--wonder of wonders!--doesn't get all over my clothes. And it smells nice. And really, why does deodorant need to be gendered anyway? We all sweat. And if must be gendered, why is the women's deodorant more expensive?

1 comment:

Val Killpack said...

I don't like the "woodsy" odours of male deodorants, and have often purchased female-marketed ones (as a male consumer). These days, I buy the natural stuff at a co-op or (hopefully independently-owned) health food store, and many of them are not gendered - Nature's Gate, Tom's of Maine, etc....